[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu Jan 19 07:45:24 EST 2012

On 18 Jan 2012 at 7:41, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I am pretty sure that at this point everybody read "GMT" as "UTC" in

> those treaties, if they have not already been fixed.

So, basically:

Using a different name from "UTC" for a future time standard that is
unmoored from solar time is too problematic to consider, because it
would make a whole range of real-world stuff suddenly illegal due to
the multiplicity of laws, treaties, tech standards, etc., that
specify UTC specifically, and would hence be unable to legally use
the new standard and would be in trouble if nothing called UTC were
disseminated any more.

However, the existence of another multiplicity of laws, treaties,
tech standards, etc. that specifically reference GMT, a time standard
not actually disseminated presently but presumed to tie to solar
rather than atomic time, is not a problem because "everybody knows"
that GMT really means UTC.

--
== Dan ==