[LEAPSECS] And now to something entirely different.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jan 19 18:13:43 EST 2012

First, I can't say I'm very surprised. ITU has always had a nasty
tendency to make hard questions "for further study", anyone who
have read the original OSI recommendations (X.###) will know what
I mean by that.

Second, it is insteresting and depressing that this can seem to
come as a "surprise" for so many delegations, probably including
the Danish, despite people like us drawing attention to it for
the last ten years. This may simply be a convenient excuse for
smaller countries to not pick sides. They won't have that excuse
next time, if it becomes an official agenda point. In that case,
EU-commision gets involved.

Third: The only game changer I can spot, is if Daniel Gambis starts
to announce leapseconds 30 months in advance with stated intention
to get it up to five years, as soon as the science supports DUT1<1s.

Fourth: I would have gotten terribly drunk if ITU had abolished
leap seconds on my birthday :-)

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe