[LEAPSECS] Leap seconds decision deferred until 2015

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Jan 19 18:32:11 EST 2012

On 19 January 2012 22:38, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> > Consider it an opportunity to find consensus.

> That is unlikely if people believe it is axiomatic that time is

> fundamentally "time of day" and not "elapsed time." These are two

> fundamentally opposing views of time. And sadly they both agree to about a

> minute over the next 100 years, so the difference is small. This

> difference will matter less and less if we become a space faring race, but

> the jury is still out on the viability of that.

> I also don't have much hope for things getting better unless people are

> willing to budge on other issues. For example, we could not change a

> thing, but announce things 1 year in advance rather than 6 months in

> advance. And if that goes well, we could push that to 2 or more years.

> If we relax the DUT1 to 2s or 3s, then things could be announced even

> further in advance, which would ameliorate one of the operational

> difficulties of the current system. History shows that DUT1 of 1s is an

> arbitrary limit. Some folks wanted .1s, others .8s, some 2s. There's

> nothing magical about DUT1 <= 1s fundamentally, so that axis of the problem

> should be explored (yes, I know it is a change, but not one so fundamental

> that it couldn't be phased in with proper studies before).

> So I'm not too optimistic since all the focus has been on 'let's just junk

> them entirely' with little middle ground explored.

So, why not explore it. Properly. On this list.

This list has key knowledge of the issues, yet has failed to focus that
into specific alternate proposals that I have seen. I would encourage list
members to work out some more formal alternatives and post them in a
suitable thread. It would be far better for the next working group to be
able to be sent 2 or 3 more structured options between "do nothing" and
"kill entirely".

Stephen