[LEAPSECS] Lets get REAL about time.

Pierpaolo Bernardi olopierpa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:36:45 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:29, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> I would like your comments on this API proposal, if we can agree

> that it workable, I am willing to push it, hard, in the UNIX world.

FWIW, I like it and I wish we will have something like this in a not
to distant future.

Only a small nit:

> A IEEE binary128 number containing time on the TAI timescale

> counted in SI seconds since 2012-01-20 00:00:00 UTC.  The exact

> epoch is not imporant, but it is a good idea to make it different

> from all other currently used epochs, to make programmer mistakes

> clearly visible.

Why not use the TAI epoch instead, as to not multiply needlessly epochs.

> ]] int tai_time(realtime_t *timestamp, double *error);

Or, if you don't use the TAI epoch, then it would be better not to use
the tai_ prefix.

(BTW, first message to the list. Lurking for some months. Hi all)

P.