[LEAPSECS] Lets get REAL about time.

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jan 23 12:47:20 EST 2012

On Mon 2012-01-23T12:40:20 -0500, Keith Winstein hath writ:

> Steve Allen has opted for my #2 ("Correctly account for past leap

> seconds, and ignore yet-to-be-disseminated future leap seconds when

> converting EST/EDT/UTC-specified moments into a timestamp").

I assert that this is the same problem as ignoring yet-to-be-announced
changes in the zoneinfo files. The whims of the rotating earth bear
many resemblances to the whims of senators/presidentes/bureaucrats.
(The latter category cannot be suppressed by the ITU-R.)

I also assert that this problem is being usefully addressed by the TC
TIMEZONE folks as they followup their work on creating RFCs 5545,
5546, and the related protocols. I foresee that they will achieve a
working implementation for time zones.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855