[LEAPSECS] Lets get REAL about time.

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jan 23 22:04:47 EST 2012

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

> Usually such events are only "fixed" relative to local civil time in the place where the event is to take place, in which case they would shift relative to "real" TAI time with all changes to the local time, from leap seconds to changes in time zone boundaries and daylight saving rules.

Virtually all of our meetings take place in more than one place since we have sites in Arizona and Chile, Corporate HQ in DC, partners in California and Hawaii (and a dozen other places). I imagine this is not atypical these days. Scheduling changes are needed when DST kicks in in the U.S. (though not in Arizona) and six months (give or take) out of sync in Chile.

Whatever our individual positions on the issues, they will be better served by collecting complete and accurate use cases and engineering requirements.

Rob