[LEAPSECS] Lets get REAL about time.

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Jan 24 10:18:36 EST 2012

On 2012 Jan 24, at 07:12, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> I would like to agree with you, but can't. The dial is shared by

> the seconds, minutes, and hours hand so your proposal isn't

> going to work. Open an analog clock and have a look.

My analog clocks with just quartz crystals don't keep time to
within a second over the relevant interval. The ones with WWVB
receivers in them do a little dance every night when nobody is
watching and the signal is strong, and that dance looks a lot
like the handling of a leap second.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855