[LEAPSECS] Leap second on analog watch

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jan 25 16:29:05 EST 2012

Just to expand on this rather obscure exchange, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Clock :

'The clock is entirely accurate only once every five minutes. The rest of the time, the pendulum may seem to catch or stop, and the lights may lag or, then, race to get ahead. According to Taylor, this erratic motion reflects life's "irregularity".'

I presume "4 times an hour" was referring to the five minute cadence, interestingly similar to the 10,000-Year Clock:

http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/preprints/10_AAS_11-665_Hillis.pdf

"Erratic" isn't quite the right word, maybe "spasmodic"? Certainly whimsical.

Would welcome a more fundamental citation than wikipedia.

Rob
--

On Jan 25, 2012, at 9:33 AM, Rob Seaman wrote:

> Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>> Rob Seaman said:

>>> Exactly. The search space is a lot larger than explored so far. Consider a leap second modification to the Chronophage for instance:

>>> http://www.wired.com/culture/design/magazine/17-02/st_chronophage