[LEAPSECS] telescope systems saw the leap second

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun Jul 1 14:47:46 EDT 2012

On 2012 Jul 1, at 10:32, Rob Seaman wrote:

> Note a selection effect with anecdotal reporting: nobody tweets about things that don't happen

Of all the telescopes that time offset message came from the only
one that could be susceptible, and that only because it is the
newest and has large amounts of heterogeneous system complexity.
The only communications between its WindowsNT system clock, its
GPS receiver, and its motor controller hardware are to synch
once at boot and then complain later if^H^Hwhen they disagree.

We have an unusual amount of logging on that telescope
because the leap second is the least of our worries about
strange things that all that all its systems tend to do.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855