[LEAPSECS] Leapseconds, more evidence

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jul 2 16:47:55 EDT 2012

In message <EEEBEA0E-71CF-490D-98E5-3D01AB131853 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>Interesting. A few questions spring to mind. Let me preface them

>by stating that this is far from my area of expertise and I'd be

>delighted to be educated here.

The original source may be this:

https://plus.google.com/117024231055768477646/posts/2pkWbDiEDQG

>1) What are the units on the y-axis?

Watt.

>4) The upward jump is very rapid. Hard to tell from the scale,

>but it appears to be a facility-wide 15% jump in, say, one minute

>or less. Is this supportable by the power infrastructure onsite

>or on the local grid (assuming it is on the grid)? Is the plot

>smoothed in any way?

It's only 135 kW, not really a big deal for a data-center, much
less of a deal for the power-grid.

>I don't suppose this particular datacenter is used by Amadeus? :-)

Well, Kristian Köhntopp works for booking.com...

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe