[LEAPSECS] Leapseconds, more evidence

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Mon Jul 2 17:04:07 EDT 2012

Rob Seaman wrote:

>7) This is a 24 hour plot. I guess the hourly peaks would be some sort

>of housekeeping workflows,

Hourly cron jobs. Most people are idiots and schedule them all for the
top of the hour. The graph also shows discernible regular peaks for
aligned cycles of 30, 15, 10, and 5 minutes. Of course, for the same
reason, daily cron jobs are mst often scheduled for midnight, so it's
expected that there be an especially big peak at midnight. I'd like
to see a normal midnight's graph as well, because that's a confounding
effect that complicates interpretation of this graph.

The downward trend seen in the hours following midnight rather resembles
the smaller downward trend seen within each hour. Particularly obvious
in the last three hours before UT midnight, but visible in nearly every
hour, there's a long-lived jump at the top of each hour, at the same
time as (but distinct from) the short-lived hourly peak. Is this the
normal structure at that scale?

-zefram