[LEAPSECS] Testing computer leap-second handling

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jul 9 13:30:52 EDT 2012

In message <CD83A0B6-1098-4E0D-B108-DEB5A2470BB9 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>On Jul 9, 2012, at 8:24 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> In message <46D53F0B-BF98-46C0-A485-4A1494E2CE88 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>>> More deeply engrained yet is the simple fact that "day" on any

>>> planet, dwarf planet, or (spheroidal) moon means the synodic day.

>> Yes +/- 4 hours or so.

I'm not talking about astronomy, I'm talking about how humans have
implemented "day" in their daily lives.

China is one big timezone, DST also exploits the vast tolerance
humans have for where the sun is in the sky when they eat.

So yes, it may be the "synodic day" but it is "the synodic day
with a precision of about 1/6 rotation or so"

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe