[LEAPSECS] Testing computer leap-second handling

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jul 9 13:56:34 EDT 2012

What we saw at ITU-R in Geneva during January emphasized that
diplomacy is the art of the possible. The draft presented to the
assembly
http://www.itu.int/md/R07-SG07-RP-1005/en
which we were told has this content
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/draftTF460-7.html
proved not to be possible.

It is not clear that the linux kernel bugs will change the
international responses to that draft.

It is clear that the ITU-R hierarchy really wants WP7A to fix the
proposal so that it can achieve consensus in time for the 2015
assembly.

I suspect that the ITU-R (such as it is possible to attribute
motivations to such a nebulous bureaucratic entity) would appreciate
assistance that enables consensus. That is part of the hope behind
the next futureofutc.org meeting set for next May in Charlottesville.

Can LEAPSECS contribute ideas for a better draft revision of TF.460 ?

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855