[LEAPSECS] Longer horizon

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Jul 10 10:26:30 EDT 2012

On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:12 AM, Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

>> On 9 Jul 2012 at 14:31, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> First, the current "right" database can't be updated in place:

>>> you have to restart.

>> M$ Windows people are used to constantly having to restart their

>> systems at the most trivial updates... *Nix folks are spoiled!

> I think that you've got it backwards. M$ developers have been spoiled that the don't have to tackle the hard problem of not forcing a restart. Forced restarts kill your '9's of uptime.

Really? Changing all the clocks on the planet is deemed easier than updating some software to be responsive to a HUP?

We have a git seminar here tomorrow. Software has power build tools that are the envy of other engineering disciplines. The woman on the Clapham omnibus is not supposed to care whether it's dark outside during the daytime, but a bunch of programmers tossing around cute jargon like *Nix and M$ can't arrange to update a record in a database at runtime?

Rob