[LEAPSECS] Longer horizon

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Wed Jul 11 07:55:59 EDT 2012

Peter:
Is my little blurb on GMT and the BBC (in http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/GMT.UT.and.the.RGO.html)
still more or less correct? Anything I should add/change? There are
a few statements in the article that I would like to tighten up and I
might as well get them all done at the same time.
-- Richard

On 11-Jul-12, at 8:46 AM, Richard B. Langley wrote:

> Thanks, Peter. I had missed that.

> -- Richard

> On 11-Jul-12, at 8:38 AM, Peter Vince wrote:

>> Hi Richard,

>> Yes, BBC Radio 4 Long Wave on 198 KHz certainly did. David

>> Malone in Ireland grabbed the LF spectrum and sent a message to the

>> list at 13:25 (British Summer Time) on the 1st of July - his

>> spectrogram at

>> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/time/leap2012/spectrogram.png

>> clearly shows the six short and seventh longer pips. Speaking to my

>> colleague in Broadcasting House who used to be their "Time Lord",

>> they

>> have a new system which is completely automatic, and designed to

>> correctly handle leap-seconds - and it seems to have worked - yippee!

>> Peter

>> On 11 July 2012 12:27, Richard B. Langley <lang at unb.ca> wrote:

>>> Peter:

>>> Did any BBC radio station transmit the 7-pip Greenwich Time Signal

>>> for the

>>> leap second? I did check the iPlayer repeats from BBC Radios 1

>>> through 5 but

>>> it appears that these stations, at least via iPlayer, didn't use

>>> it. Unlike

>>> for the 2008 leap second when Radio 5 made a big deal about it.