[LEAPSECS] USNO NTP incident of 2012-11-19

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun Nov 25 19:26:04 EST 2012

On Sun 2012-11-25T19:59:14 +0000, Matsakis, Demetrios hath writ:

> And I suppose many on this list will have even more to say ...

I think this list is largely silent while wondering whether the ITU-R
is capable of doing anything besides the non-decisions during this year.

Thank you for the report on the USNO incident. My concern upon
reading this is that the notice on the web page
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ntp.html
looks as if it is a temporary modification which will, in short order,
simply vanish from view.

Behind many arguments about leap seconds are references to previous
events and decisions which, upon inspection, turn out not to be
mentioned in the available documentation. Among the effects of
that are
=> in the future, sysadmins will not have access to documents which
can warn about the severity of the effects and the importance of
robust configurations
=> similarly, delegates to subsequent ITU-R meetings about the
broadcast time scale will lack basis for making their decisions

My question: Is there a published description of this event which
will be citeable for the sake of posterity?

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855