[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 82, Issue 1

Finkleman, Dave dfinkleman at agi.com
Sun Aug 4 12:47:47 EDT 2013

Well, it depends who you are. If you are Rob, or Steve, or me, or ... it matters a lot. In fact, it probably matters to you. But it does not matter to the sales clerk, or the farmer, or the factory worker. Until the discrepancy grows to days or weeks, as it did by the 1500's, when seasons were shifted noticeably. Consider the Moslem calendar in which Ramadan moves around. The linch pin is that if it doesn't matter for most but really matters for some very important processes, then why change anything? My mantra is that we develop standards for those who need them, not for those who don't.

DF