[LEAPSECS] FaceBook...

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Aug 9 14:06:11 EDT 2013

On Aug 9, 2013, at 3:46 AM, Zefram wrote:

> Warner Losh wrote:

>> beyond any leap day snafus I've seen. Why should leap seconds cause so

>> much more collateral damage?

> Maybe that leap seconds are handled in kernel space but leap days in

> user space.

My comments are a higher level: leap days can be implemented without much hassle. Leap seconds have a much higher hassle level. I know why the hassle in the Linux case was higher. My more basic point is that the costs of leap seconds is much higher than leap days, and it tends to be more unpredictable.

Warner