[LEAPSECS] USWP7A docs for 2013 September meetings

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed Aug 14 10:39:36 EDT 2013

On Wed 2013-08-14T15:07:10 +0200, mc235960 hath writ:

> Somewhat disingenuous to my mind.

> The RC12 recommendation was:

> Resolution 653 (WRC-12), Future of the Coordinated Universal Time time-scale invited the ITU-R to conduct the necessary studies on the feasibility of achieving a continuous reference time-scale for dissemination by radiocommunication systems and to study issues related to the possible implementation of a continuous reference timescale(including technical and operational factors).

> The above document reduces this to:

> "The International Telecommunication Union is currently considering a proposal to abandon the use of leap seconds and to make UTC a continuous reference time scale based on atomic time."

> These views are hardly equivalent.

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

A close reading of the documents from the various meetings in the
1960s and 1970s indicates that this same sort of partial communication
and reliance on jargon words with unclear meanings was the mechanism
by which we got leap seconds in the first place.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855