[LEAPSECS] USWP7A docs for 2013 September meetings

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Aug 17 18:05:46 EDT 2013

On Aug 14, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> - We start to see zones like UTC+15, UTC+16 to add to the present UTC+14,

>> and *eventually* will see UTC+24, UTC+25.

> I somehow doubt that, I think the "date-line" will circle the earth

> along with the necessary LST changes, but I'll be happy to leave

> that bit of legislation to the people of that century.

UTC + 24 would require 10 hours of gain, or 36000 seconds, or at least a several thousand years. By that time, leap seconds would be needed more than monthly, even the current definition would change on those time scales, necessarily, because the offset between atomic time and solar time would be too great to adjust by the current mechanisms.

Warner