[LEAPSECS] Future of UTC 2013

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Feb 19 14:01:01 EST 2013

On Tue 2013-02-19T08:06:15 +0100, mike cook hath writ:

> As much of this scope is served by people outside the scientific

> community (and much of the controversy relates to those fields) I

> would be interested to know what effort the 2013 meetings chairs made

> to engage those who might be affected by change from the status quo.

> Have papers from some of these fields already been received? My hope

> is that the reflections are not limited to re bashing the same old

> ground.

I hope the same. Signs such as the new IAU working group do seem like
a rehash of the previous group charted in 2003 and dissolved in 2006.
The visits to my web pages indicate a general frustration with the
impenetrably limited view of the international process and players. I
know others not participating because they wish not to discuss
vulnerabilities. Some who could contribute have expressed doubts
about participation due to impending "sequestration" (which might even
impede analysis and changes needed to handle a change in UTC).

So far the meeting has abstracts from folks involved with
manufacturing hardware, design of software APIs, social sciences, the
IERS, the (new) IAU working group on UTC, delegations to the ITU-R,
and astronomy.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855