[LEAPSECS] Jan 1 leap second news

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Jan 1 19:36:38 EST 2013

On Tue 2013-01-01T10:37:05 -0800, Steve Allen hath writ:

> Apparently that is not the case for the new year bug in iOS

> http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/01/ios-6s-do-not-disturb-not-shutting-off-automatically-on-new-years-day/

In other news, xkcd's what if has asked about the leap second
http://what-if.xkcd.com/26/
and a discussion is running on the xkcd forum
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99466

Also, the ntpd on one of our machines jumped three times by 1 second
in the 2 hours after 0 UT as it switched between various ntp servers.
This one was an entirely out-of-the-box vendor config for ntpd, so it
is likely our only one which might have encountered ntp pool servers
with the leap flag still erroneously set to 01.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855