[LEAPSECS] drawing the battle lines

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Mar 20 16:29:32 EDT 2013

In message <A72F135C-CE3F-48DF-BC61-6AB4E68E78D7 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>There's a lot of overlap between timekeepers and astronomers.

There's a lot of overlap between bioinformatics and ornitology.

Was there any relevant point you were trying to make ?

>The fundamental issue remains that atomic time and synodic time

>are two different things.

The IAU and CCTF seems to be absolutely clear on the difference:

A) Atomic time is time.

B) Earth orientation is geometry.

The fact that we used to estimate time from Earth orientation does
not give astronomers some kind of hereditary claim to forever control
our timescales.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe