[LEAPSECS] drawing the battle lines

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Wed Mar 20 21:02:45 EDT 2013

I would propose that ITU is using continuity and uniformity in their
mathematical definitions, implying that the intent is that at least in
definitional theory, UTC be mathematically continuous with all its
derivatives (noise being ignored). This would exclude step discontinuities
(leap seconds) and piecewise linearity (like UT1). Given that the length
of a SI second is constant, what's left is a UTC that is a constant offset
from TAI, where the offset changes only if so ordered.

Joe