[LEAPSECS] drawing the battle lines

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Mar 21 00:45:46 EDT 2013

So I gotta ask.

What's the problem with doing radar and other similar things in GPS time
and keeping "human" time in UTC, with leap seconds?

I mean, sure, years ago timestamps were YYMMDDHHMMSS and those
eventually got bigger, and eventually folks started noticing that things
really got interesting twice a year jumping in and out of daylight
savings time.

But doesn't that mean that we can solve the problem even better by
making sure folks use timestamps that contain the timescale when that
level of effort is useful?