[LEAPSECS] drawing the battle lines

Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Thu Mar 21 09:06:00 EDT 2013

I'm still puzzled at the reasons for stating that UT1 should not be
considered as a time scale in this recommendation. How does that serve
this recommendation? This is a bit of a different question from
evaluating UT1 as a time scale. Instead, it is a question about the
reasons why the evaluation of UT1 must be included in this recommendation.
Does saying that UT1 is not a time scale strengthen the other points in
any way? Is it necessary for the other points to be accepted?

Best,

Kevin

Kevin K. Birth, Professor
Department of Anthropology
Queens College, City University of New York
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11367
telephone: 718/997-5518

"We may live longer but we may be subject to peculiar contagion and
spiritual torpor or illiteracies of the imagination" --Wilson Harris

"Tempus est mundi instabilis motus, rerumque labentium cursus." --Hrabanus
Maurus

Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>
Sent by: <leapsecs-bounces at leapsecond.com>
03/21/13 02:14 AM
Please respond to
Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>

Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [LEAPSECS] drawing the battle lines

On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:45 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> So I gotta ask.

> What's the problem with doing radar and other similar things in GPS time

> and keeping "human" time in UTC, with leap seconds?

> I mean, sure, years ago timestamps were YYMMDDHHMMSS and those

> eventually got bigger, and eventually folks started noticing that things

> really got interesting twice a year jumping in and out of daylight

> savings time.

> But doesn't that mean that we can solve the problem even better by

> making sure folks use timestamps that contain the timescale when that

> level of effort is useful?

Three things: (1) Leap seconds are rarely done correctly, and even when
done correctly come at a cost that is disproportionate to their value. (2)
You can know GPS time without knowing UTC, but not vice versa, since you
have to know the GPS UTC offset, which isn't knowable until after the
first almanac download, especially for a cold GPS receiver. (3) There will
be much confusion as the two type of time are mixed.

Note that there is no daylight savings time in UTC, so that part of the
argument can be ignored.

Warner