[LEAPSECS] drawing the lines

Nero Imhard nimh at pipe.nl
Mon Mar 25 05:53:15 EDT 2013

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

>> The ITU is attempting to turn one

>> flavor of time scale into another. The fallacy is the notion that we

>> shouldn't have two time scales in the first place.

> Well, standards groups do do these things, and over time it is a great

> help. I would look to the history of machine screw threads for a

> parallel.

All of these thread standards had their own unique names to avoid
confusion. But here we see an attempt to redefine an existing standard
*without* renaming. Even more ironically, to change it into something of
which several versions with different TAI offsets already exist.

It eludes me why anyone could fail to find this silly.

Also, I'm enough of a programmer to feel outright disgust at re-using old
identifiers for new purposes.