[LEAPSECS] drawing the battle lines

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Thu May 9 08:52:57 EDT 2013

I think the problem is that "time scale" is not defined. It could be a scale
that can be used both
to indicate when events occurred or will occur, and to find durations by
subtracting the beginning
time from the ending time, and during any duration of the same number of
seconds, physical
processes such as the cycles emitted by an atomic clock will progress to the
same degree.
But it could instead refer only to a scale used by people to record events
and plan for future
events, without any implication that two durations that are nominally the
same number of seconds
will have physical processes progress to the same degree. UT1 is
satisfactory for most event
recording and planning purposes.

Gerard Ashton