[LEAPSECS] Solar time: From mean solar days, to mean solar years

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Aug 20 22:23:39 EDT 2014

On Aug 20, 2014, at 7:40 PM, Brooks Harris <brooks at edlmax.com> wrote:

> Since the beginning of civilization society has pursued the goal of perfect timekeeping. UTC is one of the great intellectual achievements of mankind.
>
> The difficulties with Leap Seconds are rooted in computer standards and implementations, not theory. We must strive to advance the state of the art, not abandon 4500 years of timekeeping history just because its difficult. Ceaser didn't quit. Pope Gregory didn't quit. Harrison didn't quit. Newcomb didn't quit.
>
> "Dropping Leap Seconds" is something like burning great libraries.

Not sure I buy this hyperbole. Leap seconds suffer from many minor issues that are only going to increase as we get more and more connected. The stubborn refusal for any changes in the current implementation has me thinking of them as less than great libraries, and more as pebbles in my shoes. There are many better ways to implement them, and “perfect timekeeping” always begs the question of “perfect for whom.” De we align them with the day or the year? If we pick one over the other, the other gets out of sync.

Warner