[LEAPSECS] Leap second relationship to ISO 8601

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Aug 26 10:58:33 EDT 2014

On Aug 26, 2014, at 8:44 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:

> Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> wrote:
>>
>> A date is an integer.  A timestamp is a real.  (however represented)
>
> And this is a great example of why UTC is usually implemented incorrectly.

I had a college that was graphing data that was supposed to have MJD as the X axis. The data was in UTC standard time stamps (including some days with 23:59:60).  We had a long argument about how to convert the time of day to a fractional time of day on days with leap seconds. In the end, it turned out the two graphs looked identical if you did it one way vs another, so he opted for the most complicated to implement :).

Warner