[LEAPSECS] Leap second relationship to ISO 8601

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Aug 27 05:22:40 EDT 2014

Brooks Harris <brooks at edlmax.com> wrote:

> Its important to note 8601 is silent on how "Daylight Savings Time" is handled
> and provides no recommendation of how it might be indicated or represented.

ISO 8601 does not represent daylight saving nor time zones.

> Looking closely you'll find there is no universal definition of "local time".
> In particular, 8601 implies use of "offset from UTC", as indication of "local
> time", but conflates this with Daylight Savings. For example, a date and time
> in New York City might be represented as 2014-07-04T00:00:00-05:00 which
> misses the fact that Daylight was in effect, or 2014-07-04T00:00:00-04:00
> which misses the fact the the fixed timezone offset is -05:00.

The former is incorrect.

> The definition of "proleptic UTC" is controvesial. NTP does the best job of
> it. in my opinion, but watch out; its subtle.

I did not think NTP had anything to say about proleptic UTC at all. Do you
have a specific reference?

Tony.
Trafalgar: Cyclonic in northwest, otherwise mainly northerly or northwesterly
5 or 6. Slight or moderate. Showers in northwest. Good.