[LEAPSECS] Definition of Standard time - Brooks Harris

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun Feb 16 12:22:00 EST 2014

On Sun 2014-02-16T09:07:11 -0800, Brooks Harris hath writ:

> I wonder why they avoid making clear definitions of Standard time

> and Daylight? Is it because previous precedent had already confused

> the meanings of the terms, or maybe because they emanate from the

> "Western world" and can't be agreed on internationally? Or something

> else?

These are questions better posed in the context of the tz mail list.

In that list there exist examples where the pronouncements of
impending (or sometimes already implemented) time changes are
accompanied by words where the bureaucrats in charge show that
they believe there is some sort of international scheme for
time zones. Apparently nobody told them that there are no rules
and that they can choose any offset they like and any dates of
changes that they like.

I would not be surprised if the ISO folks found that in many
jurisdictions there is no statutory basis for the summer/daylight
terminology, so no source of clear definitions.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855