[LEAPSECS] Definition of Standard time - Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sun Feb 16 21:03:12 EST 2014

On 2014-02-16 02:05 PM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Brooks Harris said:

>> Wikipedia (not always an authoritative source)

>> Standard time

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_time

>> states:

>> "Where daylight saving time is used, the term standard time typically

>> refers to the time without the offset for daylight saving time.".

>> That is consistent with my understanding of "Standard time".

> But not mine.

> "standard time" is to be contrasted with "local time". Both GMT and BST are

> "standard time" in the UK.

Ah.

Well that may help explain why 8601 and 60050 treat it that way. Also,
as per other email, actually the US Daylight law also says the same
thing. But the law is not consistent with common use in the US.

Meantime, POSIX treats "std" as fixed offset from UTC with "dst" active
or not. Thats more like common use in US, as in "Eastern Standard Time"
and "Eastern Daylight Time".

-Brooks