[LEAPSECS] When did computer timekeeping get good enough for leap seconds to matter?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 9 06:03:53 EST 2014

The IBM 360 systems starting in 1964 used the power line frequency. (A
location in low memory got bumped at 300 counts per second. 5 per cycle on
60 Hz and 6 per cycle on 50 Hz.) I wonder how much the power timekeeping
wandered back then relative to today.

Does anybody know what the guys in the power company control rooms do about
leap seconds?

------------

Leap seconds started in 1972.

I was at Xerox in the late 1970s. At boot time, Altos got the time from a
local time server. Altos used the system crystal (5.88 MHz) for timekeeping.
Personal Altos were rebooted frequently so it didn't matter if their clock
drifted a bit. The time server was packaged with the routers. (We called
them gateways.) On the few systems that were up a long time (file servers,
routers), we hand tweaked a fudge factor to adjust the clock rate. It wasn't
hard to get to a second per week. I think the units for the fudge factor
(from a config file) were seconds per day, but it would read at least one
digit past the decimal point. I don't remember any mention of leap seconds.

When were there enough (Unix?) boxes on the net running NTP and keeping good
enough time to notice things like leap seconds?

I should go browse the old RFCs and see when the API for telling the kernel
about pending leap seconds was published. But somebody may have good stories
or folklore.

--
These are my opinions. I hate spam.