[LEAPSECS] When did computer timekeeping get good enough for leap seconds to matter?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jan 9 11:00:29 EST 2014

In message <20140109110353.35874406063 at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net>, Hal Mu
rray writes:

>The IBM 360 systems starting in 1964 used the power line frequency. (A

>location in low memory got bumped at 300 counts per second. 5 per cycle on

>60 Hz and 6 per cycle on 50 Hz.) I wonder how much the power timekeeping

>wandered back then relative to today.

It used to be pretty good, because people used synchronous motors to drive
clocks so the power companies tried to keep the long-term frequency
correct.

In Denmark they usually lost a couple of seconds during the day and
gained them back during the night, similarly they lost half a minute
over winter and gained it back over summer.

After deregulation nobody gets paid to keep the long term frequency,
so mains is no good, actually down-right bad, for timekeeping anymore.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe