[LEAPSECS] Standards of time zones -Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Jan 9 19:50:25 EST 2014

Hi Rob,

On 2014-01-09 04:18 PM, Rob Seaman wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:58 PM, Brooks Harris <brooks at edlmax.com> wrote:

>> Well, its clear the "end game" would take a long time to realize. It will take serious patience on the part of folks who care.

> We’re halfway there, then ;-) This conversation has been going on for a very long time.

Yes, I know.

> Click through to the archives for the current list and for the original leapsecs list from:

> http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/links.html

> The place to start before making a foray into the mailing list, however, is with Steve Allen’s excellent pages:

> http://ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/

Yes, I'm aware of and read much of it. Its a great collection of the issues.

>> My point is that the standards, where they exist, are dispersed and fractured.

> Indeed. They are also contingent on physical context from the real world. It is simple fact that a single time scale is insufficient to model the complexity of the systems required.

Agreed. But a consistent "civil time" seems to be where the break-downs
occur and what has lead to the call to "eliminate Leap Seconds". This is
in no small part due to the know inadequacies of POSIX and NTP. So I
think some effort to better unify the behavior of "civil time", partly
by better documenting UTC's role in "civil time" would go a long way
towards relieving this pressure.

>> So, an effort to simply consolidate the terms, definitions, and standards into a single reference document would go a long way toward lending clarity to system implementers, other industries, and, importantly, to governments seeking to refine their laws to coordinate time and commerce with other jurisdictions.

> Maybe a reference library is a reasonable place to start rather than a single document. I’m biased, but not therefore wrong, in recommending the proceedings of the 2011 and 2013 UTC meetings:

Well, when I say "document" it might not take the form of a single
document - it could be several coordinated publications. My point partly
is it needs to created by due-process.

Maybe, just maybe, if enough experts rallied around a common due-process
document, then maybe, just maybe, the ITU might take a fresh look at it,
and maybe, just maybe, they'd consider refinements to the UTC specs like
you've suggested. And maybe, just maybe, the call to kill UTC would fade
away.

> Decoupling Civil Timekeeping from Earth Rotation:

> http://futureofutc.org/2011/preprints/

> Requirements for UTC and Civil Timekeeping on Earth:

> http://futureofutc.org/preprints/

> The published proceedings are available from the American Astronautical Society:

> http://www.univelt.com/Science.html

> As well as this week’s well attended American Astronomical Society splinter meeting:

> http://futureofutc.org/aas223/

Thanks very much. I've read some of these and I'll review them all.

-Brooks