[LEAPSECS] presentations from AAS Future of Time sessions

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jan 10 10:47:47 EST 2014

In message <82C28C2D-C797-4C56-A2E9-B65F38FAF509 at bsdimp.com>, Warner Losh write
s:

>The side channel issue is why I've advocated, with others, a much

>longer time horizon for leap seconds. This would allow the useful

>life of most products to have no need for a communications side

>channel to get this data.

I advocated that at my presentation at the USNO Colloqium and was
informed afterwards that a military officer in the audience, "with
a lot of stripes" quite audibly had whispered "No F***ING Way!"

The sentiment or idea was not elaborated on when I chatted with
that officer over tea afterwards, but he did make it clear that
he "wanted leap-seconds GONE!".

I suspect that a compromise position such as "10 years irevokable
leap-second notice" will be a very hard sell.

In fact, since nobody but me and Warner seems to be even willing
to entertain any but two extreme positions, it seems very likely
that the officers sentiment is spot on.

I think there is a remote chance that if the LEAPSECS audienc decided
to push for such a compromise solution, we might be able to push it
through ITU, but it would require a concerted and whole-hearted effort.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe