[LEAPSECS] presentations from AAS Future of Time sessions

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat Jan 11 13:06:54 EST 2014

On Sat 2014-01-11T10:39:32 -0700, Warner Losh hath writ:

> This allows all kinds of implementations, except one that assigns a

> unique value to the leap second. It allows one to repeat a second

> (either the last one of the day of the leap second, or the first one

> of the next day (both common) or really any other second). It also

> allows the google run a little fast until you accumulate the new

> second.

actually a little slow, which means that Google's leap smear
appropriately evokes how the dialog from Disney's Haunted
Mansion is analogous to leap seconds in POSIX:

Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as
though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted
room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination? And
consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows,
and no doors. Which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a
way out! Of course, there's always my way.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855