[LEAPSECS] presentations from AAS Future of Time sessions

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at cox.net
Sun Jan 12 18:50:07 EST 2014

On 01/12/2014 05:12 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> GMT and UTC were used interchangeably well into the 1990s, especially in publication not subject to peer review of subject experts...

People still use them interchangeably TODAY, however the people doing so
are incorrect.

We can't agree on how to solve the problems if we can't agree on the
history of the past.

time_t was devised to correspond to a GMT worldview. It worked fine
for most purposes in the late 70's. It works less fine in 2014.
Pretending that time_t was MEANT to represent UTC isn't intellectually
honest in my opinion, and I'll object when I see it presented as such.