[LEAPSECS] presentations from AAS Future of Time sessions

John Hawkinson jhawk at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 13 15:54:37 EST 2014

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote on Mon, 13 Jan 2014
at 16:03:28 +0000 in <86897.1389629008 at critter.freebsd.dk>:

> I don't think he told me exactly what representation they used

> before time_t became 32bit*seconds, but prior to that, the wrap-around

> of timestamps was prevented only by the kernel crashes.

I have no point, I just want to say:

"Sun Patch 102982-02, bug #4032974 system hangs when lbolt wraps around."
may be familiar to some people on this list. How history repeats itself.

In other news, the count of the number of times in this thread folks
have said "Universal Time Coordinated" instead of "Coordinated
Universal Time" is higher than I would expect. (Coordinated Universal
Time is the proper expansion of UTC, for international compromise
reasons). I feel like this is similar to the times people say "GMT"
when they mean "UTC," and possibly for similar reasons.

--jhawk at mit.edu
John Hawkinson