[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 88, Issue 31

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 14 18:24:38 EST 2014

I think Matsakis's post illustrates an important point: who is in charge?
Since no authority is in clear control of the definition of the Julian and
Gregorian calendars, no authority is in a position to demand that December
31, 2000, be regarded as the last day of the 20th century. In the absence of
authority, words mean what the consensus of the general public deems them to
mean. Since the parties on December 31, 1999, were larger than the parties a
year later (at least in the US), December 31, 1999, was the last day of the
20th century.

Gerry Ashton