[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 88, Issue 31

Dennis Ferguson dennis.c.ferguson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 13:08:46 EST 2014

On 15 Jan, 2014, at 14:58 , Richard Clark <rclark at noao.edu> wrote:

> And as for counting-- it's not always in the realm of mathematicians.

> When you enter a building on ground level and you go to a room on the

> 1st floor do you expect to use the stairs or elevator? The answer depends

> on wheather you are in Europe or the US (or on the campus of the University

> of Arizona).

For older buildings in Hong Kong it can depend on which language you read.
The 1st floor when written in English is very often the 2nd floor when
written in Chinese, with both being written side-by-side on plates on mail
boxes and beside apartment buzzers. I'm not quite sure how mail gets
delivered correctly.

Dennis Ferguson