[LEAPSECS] Common Calendar Time (CCT) -Brooks Harris

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jan 17 08:00:56 EST 2014

For instance, http://fanf.livejournal.com/69586.html

> >I'll suggestion a name for this scale - "Local Time Offset (LTO)".

> Decent name, and it can be fairly applied to the offsets that we already

> manage, independent of the CCT concept.

I'm slightly surprised that there doesn't seem to be a convenional terse
phrase for this already - ISO 8601 just uses circumlocutions like
"difference between local time and UTC of day".

> >Local Time Offset declares 104 offsets from CCT on 15 minute

> >increments from CCT-12:00 to CCT+14:00.

> You will not in practice succeed in dictating a limit to either the

> range or the resolution of local time offsets. Each locality decides

> its time for itself; there is no authority that can dictate otherwise.

15 minute intervals are not fine-grained enough for historical zones that
followed local mean solar time. The range of offsets has been surprisingly
large in the past, e.g. the Philippines / Manila on -15:56 until 1844
after which they crossed the date line and switched to +08:04.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.