[LEAPSECS] presentations from AAS Future of Time sessions

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 18 03:43:03 EST 2014

On 18/01/14 08:57, Brooks Harris wrote:

> On 2014-01-17 11:15 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:

>> Let's face it, this lump of orbital debris we call our home planet is

>> what we have as a reference and try to have common set of references.

>> This is our "universe".

> The "universe" is a little larger than that for the astronomers. "Earth

> time" would have made more sense.

You are missing my point, the word "universe" have different meanings,
and when originally used for UTC it was used to mean a coordinated time
for that "lump of orbital debris" and not for the "Universe". Thus,
using a particular interpretation of the word as an argument is not very
fruitful. It is just not very suitable choice of words, at least in english.

Cheers,
Magnus