[LEAPSECS] presentations from AAS Future of Time sessions

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 18 05:09:05 EST 2014

On 18/01/14 10:41, Brooks Harris wrote:

> On 2014-01-18 12:43 AM, Magnus Danielson wrote:

>>> The "universe" is a little larger than that for the astronomers. "Earth

>>> time" would have made more sense.

>> You are missing my point, the word "universe" have different meanings,

>> and when originally used for UTC it was used to mean a coordinated

>> time for that "lump of orbital debris" and not for the "Universe".

>> Thus, using a particular interpretation of the word as an argument is

>> not very fruitful. It is just not very suitable choice of words, at

>> least in english.

> Both terms, "universal" and "coordinated", are laden with historical

> connotations.

> If you somehow refine the description of UTC I think you'd better rename

> it.

There are ways to alter the definition of UTC and keeping within the
concept.

If you want a different concept, then it's a different time-scale. The
concept they are looking for already have an existing time-scale, but
naturally they are free to contribute to the proliferation of
time-scales by doing yet another one.

Cheers,
Magnus