[LEAPSECS] Common Calendar Time (CCT) -Brooks Harris

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Sat Jan 18 12:39:00 EST 2014

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

>No. If your poke around into how time is used, you will discover that

>what is stored in the cound of seconds since the Epoch. Broken-down

>time is used only when there is a human to be humored.

Sure, scalar time_t values are used underneath, and I didn't say
otherwise. That's what time_t is for. The kernel even increments the
time_t clock, most of the time, as if it's a linear count of seconds,
which is how it behaves on the small scale outside the immediate
vicinity of leap seconds. But a kernel that knows about leap seconds
then introduces a discontinuity in the scalar value, somewhere near each
leap, to maintain the scalar<->UTC relationship.

>POSIX time is defined without reference to NTP,

Indeed. The two definitions are separate, but match in most of their
design features.

-zefram