[LEAPSECS] TV frame-rate in 60Hz countries

Stephen Scott stephenscott at videotron.ca
Sat Jan 18 18:11:33 EST 2014

On 2014-01-18 16:14, Peter Vince wrote:

> Stephen Scott has just mentioned his involvement in the TV industry in

> the USA, with its problematical 29.97 Hz frame-rate. I also work in

> the TV industry, but in the UK where we are lucky to have a nice

> integer 25 Hz rate. Although historically we still had a problem with

> leap seconds, as the 625 PAL system had a 4-frame ("8-field") sequence

> (due to the exact colour subcarrier frequency being offset from a

> multiple of line frequency to avoid static patterning on monochrome

> displays), and so there were three and one-eighth of these 4-frame

> sequences per second. When editing, this frame-sequence had to be

> maintained, else there would be a small sideways jump when the replay

> machine kept the signal synchronous with the colour subcarrier phase.

> Anyway... those problems have largely gone away now that we have

> stopped broadcasting the analogue PAL signal.

Is there any attempt to maintain the PAL 8-field sequence when aligning
the timestamps with clock time?

> I was wondering if Stephen, or anyone else, has any information about

> the possibility of 60 Hz countries changing the nasty NTSC-based 29.97

> Hz frame rate to a nice integer 30 Hz rate, as I believe analogue has

> also all but been switched off in the USA too (no knowledge of other

> 60 Hz countries.)

This would be one of my fondest dreams. However there is an enormous
reluctance to do so. With the advent of higher frame rates 60/1.001 Hz
has been adopted for UHDTV and there is a proposal for 120/1.001 Hz
being proposed.

Regards
Stephen

> Regards,