[LEAPSECS] presentations from AAS Future of Time sessions

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sun Jan 19 01:03:03 EST 2014

On 2014-01-18 08:53 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2014, at 6:31 AM, Magnus Danielson wrote:

>>> As you are no doubt aware, the POSIX time_t does not do that.

>> The POSIX time_t still tries to encode it, using some of the rules that makes of UTC, including SI-seconds. However, the argument was not about POSIX time_t, but about what "Universal" in UTC actually means.

> POSIX time_t is explicitly not UTC.

Ah, well, it is explicitly UTC, but not the UTC we'd like.

section 3.150 Epoch says - "The time zero hours, zero minutes, zero
seconds, on January 1, 1970 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)."

But its described behavior is not *modern* UTC (with Leap Seconds), and
this is made clearer by section A.4.15 Seconds Since the Epoch -

"Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) includes leap seconds. However, in
POSIX time (seconds
since the Epoch), leap seconds are ignored (not applied) to provide an
easy and compatible
method of computing time differences. Broken-down POSIX time is
therefore not necessarily
UTC, despite its appearance."

"Broken-down POSIX time" is a YY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss representation - a
*calendar* date-time.

POSIX behaves as an *uncompensated-for-Leap-Seconds* Gregorian calendar
counting scheme.

-Brooks