[LEAPSECS] Common Calendar Time (CCT) -Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sun Jan 19 18:48:30 EST 2014

On 2014-01-19 11:06 AM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

> NTP *does* refer to POSIX - Figure 4: Interesting Historic NTP Dates

> refers to "First day UNIX" and locates it 63072000 seconds before

> 1972-01-01T00:00:00Z (UTC). This helps solve one problem - when,

> exactly, was the POSIX "the Epoch".

> Ok. I meant a normative reference, in the sense of coordinated

> standards. An interesting historical note isn't really coordination.

Its debatable if "Figure 4: Interesting Historic NTP Dates" is normative
or informative. Nothing says its informative, so, except for the word
"Interesting" in its title, it could be considered normative.

Its the closet thing I know of that definitively places the Unix/POSIX
"the Epoch" in relation to 1972-01-01T00:00:00Z (UTC).

In any event it must describe the common use of many systems that
synchronize NTP with POSIX.

The intentional fuzzy definition of POSIX "the Epoch" is a major gap in
the fractured time-keeping standards, a gap that is probably responsible
for a lot of misunderstanding and non-interoperable implementations.

This is a key objective of the CCT design I've suggested - to *specify*
the relationship of the origin called "ACCT1970" as 63072000 seconds
before 1972-01-01T00:00:00Z (UTC), or 1972-01-01T00:00:00Z (CCT).

This is exactly the same as NTP's reference to "First day Unix", and the
best choice for accurate date-time implementations in POSIX.

The "ACCT1970" origin is named to separate it from any direct normative
dependencies on the NTP or POSIX standards, insulating it from debates
in those arenas. But it would informatively state "ACCT1970 in intended
to coincide with the Unix/POSIX "the Epoch" and applications may choose
to treat it so."

-Brooks