[LEAPSECS] Future time

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 20 12:27:14 EST 2014

Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Stephen Scott wrote:

> > The basis of my understanding is that UTC is a timescale that:

> > - progresses at a rate of the second (SI) and has done so since 1972-01-01.

> > - is expressed as a count in the form of date, hours, minutes and seconds;

> > - is continuous other than the discontinuities resulting from leap second corrections;

> To pick a pedantic nit: It is continuous. No "other than". UTC is a

> continuous time scale. It has a non-uniform radix that is expressed at

> the leap seconds when its rules for labeling seconds changes slightly to

> label the leap second 23:59:60. The timescale has a discontinuity when

> there's a phase jump. UTC does not have phase jumps, even if it chooses

> a non-traditional time to label some of its seconds once every year and

> a half or two.

I think it is reasonable to say that UTC's labelling of seconds is
discontinuous. For timescales that use simple ancient sexagesimal notation
you can write down some straightforward formulae mapping between a count
of seconds and a broken down time. If you try to do the same for UTC you
have to write down something that is piecewise linear with exceptions. It
isn't a continuous map like other timescales.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.